Friday 1 July 2011

Call From the Past


Yesterday I received a call from friends from my past.

From past geography and time

I could fake happiness

I lied that I wanted to call myself but lost the number

-          Are you still in the city?- they asked me
-          Of course, where else can I be?!- I told them

They told me that someone is missing
Someone, finally, got married, and someone died
I found some words to reply, I was trying to talk quickly, I was busy
But today I looked at the sky
To dry my eyes or to wait for the rain

This city always has some news
It appears that most important events happen in this city
Why it appears so?
Why?
So many people gone and disappeared
And there is no news from them
Or maybe it’s me who disappeared? And where is my news?
I often want to call people who I think I know
And I often imagine that every voice and loud noise is addressed to someone

Who am I looking for in this city?

This city knows : those who arrived are definatly right
Those who stayed- even more right
I completely confused
You can not highlight me from those who burn here
Where someone is waiting for me?
Where someone is happy to see me?
Where someone will sincerely and strongly hug me?
And why do I so much care about this city's sky?
And would this sky hug me, the sky where I never was…

Original text by Evgeny Grishkovec, translated by Evgeny Latypov

1 comment:

  1. That's a powerful poem. I'm curious about what led you to translate it and post it in your blog?

    I imagine that the poem speaks to you in some way.

    I wonder if you could combine some sort of audio and visual project in which you record your voice reading the poem (in Russian and in English perhaps) accompanied by some suitable Creative Commons flickr images or some video.

    ReplyDelete